Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
BELGRADE, Serbia — A gunman in Montenegro killed 10 people, including a mother and her two children, aged 8 and 11, before a civilian shot him, in the city of Cetinje on Friday.
“When we arrived at the scene we saw nine dead bodies, including two children, and another two passed away on their way to the hospital,” Andrijana Nastic, the state prosecutor investigating the shooting, told TV Vijesti.
Ms. Nastic said that six people had been wounded in the attack, including a police officer.
The shooter first targeted the mother and her two children, who were tenants staying on his property, according to Zoran Brdanin, the director of Montenegro’s police administration.
The shooter then called the father and husband of the victims to tell him what he had done, according to TV Vijesti, citing witnesses.
The shooter, identified as 34-year-old Vuk Borilovic, then continued shooting with what the police called a hunting rifle at random passers-by in the streets near his residence, before he was shot and killed.
“The shooter was killed by a citizen,” said Ms. Nastic, the prosecutor. Local news media earlier had reported that the police had killed the shooter in Cetinje, which is about 22 miles west of Podgorica, the capital of the small Balkan nation.
Mr. Brdanin, the police chief, said it was still unclear what had “provoked” the shooter’s attack.
Three of the wounded were said to have suffered life-threatening injuries.
“These are very serious injuries and for now we cannot declare a definitive prognosis,” Dr. Perica Maras, the surgeon on duty at the Clinical Center of Montenegro in the capital told TV Vijesti.
Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic of Montenegro wrote on his Telegram channel that there had been “an unprecedented tragedy” in Cetinje and said a three-day mourning period would be declared in Montenegro starting Friday evening.